Explore Alberta: from dining to ziplining
There’s only a few more days before one of the most anticipated times of the year – May long weekend.
If you haven’t started planning your weekend adventure yet, don’t fear: check out our new Alberta activities portal. From fine dining to rustic getaways, you’ll find that Alberta has something for everyone.
Here are 5 ideas to get you started.
It wouldn’t truly be May long weekend in Alberta without kicking off the official camping season. Snow or shine, Albertans love packing up their camp chairs for a chance to escape to our great outdoors. Here’s what you need to know before you go:
- Find a provincial park
- Reserve a campsite
- Rules for camping on public land
- Liquor bans
- Fire bans across Alberta and in provincial parks
- Prevent wildfires: watch how to properly extinguish a campfire
Dust off those fishing poles and dig out your tackle box for another popular past time – angling in Alberta.
- Know the rules, review the 2013 Alberta Guide to Sportfishing Regulations
- Buy your annual Fishing Licence online
- Practice safe fishing handling techniques for a successful catch and release
- Enjoy family fun at the Kids Can Catch trout pond at Bow Habitat Station in Calgary
Looking for a little less rustic and a little more action? Alberta is full of places to go and things to do – your imagination is the only limitation.
- Seek thrills at an amusement park or zipline down an Olympic ski jump tower
- Rejuvenate during a luxury spa or wellness weekend
- Visit the past at Alberta’s museums and historic sites
- Tee off on one of hundreds of private and public golf courses
From prairie skies to majestic mountains, explore Alberta’s diverse landscapes and wildlife.
- Hit the road – and take the scenic route
- Pedal, hike or ride Alberta’s trail networks
- Be BearSmart while hiking and camping in bear country
- Go wildlife watching and spot one of Alberta’s 411 bird, 93 mammal or 1,800 flower species
From exquisite culinary delights to farm fresh flavours, let your palate rejoice the taste of Alberta.
- Savour the flavour of regional masterpieces at participating Dine Alberta bistros and restaurants
- Go local, shop at one of 130 approved farmers’ markets
The fun doesn’t stop here. For more summer adventure ideas, download or order copies of Travel Alberta’s vacation planners.