It’s that time of year again; time to get out and enjoy what Alberta has to offer. So, before you head out this long weekend – or any time this summer – get the information you need from the Alberta government on fire bans, liquor bans, safe camping, and more.
- Find a park, reserve a campsite and check out the special promotions.
- Headed to the backcountry? Know the rules for using Alberta’s public land.
- Check for area and trail closures for the Bighorn Backcountry and other areas and the latest trail report
- Be prepared with our checklist for outdoor recreation.
- Know everything about respectful boating? Brush up on boating rules and responsibilities.
Get there safely
- Check road conditions before you leave and get updates from Twitter before the trip back home.
- Construction season is underway. Be aware of emergency and construction workers!
- Planning on enjoying a river or stream? Make sure you check for river and stream advisories. Might as well download the app while you’re at it!
Respect the law
- Check for fire bans for your area or provincial park.
- Find the latest information on liquor bans.
- Going fishing? Apply for your licence online or at your nearest retailer.
- Minimize your impact when enjoying motorized and non-motorized vehicles.
- Are you a distracted driver?
- Arrive alive! Don’t be an impaired driver or speeder.
- It’s the law! Watercraft inspections are mandatory, what does that mean for you?
- Understand the roles of fish and wildlife officers as well as conservation officers.
- Check www.albertafirebans.ca before heading out!
- Don’t let your campfire turn into a wildfire.
- Riding off-highway? Prevent vehicle hot spots from sparking a blaze.
- Download ESRD’s free Wildfire app for fire information in real time.
- Call 310-FIRE to report a wildfire in the Forest Protection Area.
Be safe around wildlife
- Learn how to be BearSmart and how to use bear spray.
- How to travel in cougar country.
- Keep your distance for safe wildlife viewing.
- See poaching? Report it.
- Get out and visit some of Alberta’s fantastic museums and historical sites.
- Shop local at farmer’s markets.
- Explore Alberta’s many events, concerts and festivals.
May all your Alberta adventures be safe and memorable this long weekend.